Choose from either our American Express, Visa or Mastercard Credit Cards. All our cards are accepted worldwide and you have access to the largest POS and ATM network in the country.
All of our credit cards have the following features to help you stay in control:
You can enjoy up to 51-days interest free and minimum payment requirement of 5% of your monthly balance.
With our American Express credit cards, you can also take advantage of our easy installment plan EasyPay to pay for goods in installments at participating merchants.
Using a credit card, you can make purchases up to a certain limit and pay for them later. We give up to 51 days for you to pay for your purchases without charging any interest.
You can set up automatic monthly payments to be deducted from your account at the end of every month. If you pay your credit card balance in full every month, you will not be charged interest.
Yes. Credit card to expatriates is issued upon securing a cash lien equivalent to 110% of the credit card limit. Customer is required to submit a consent letter with their credit card application stating below information:
Log into Internet Banking and under the “Services” tab, apply for a Credit Card. Do make sure any supporting documents are attached too. You can also submit an Application Form to any of our branches.
Note: Only customers eligible for a new credit card will be able to apply. For existing customers, we will not be able to issue additional/supplementary credit cards at this time.
The credit limit is what is available for you to spend on your credit card. This limit is spread across all your credit cards. For example, if you have MVR60,000 as a credit limit, this will be the limit available to for all your credit cards – not just one card.
Using a credit card responsibly, making sure payments to your card are made on time and if you have chosen automatic payment, having enough money in your account to make payments are all important ways to build your credit score.
Your credit score has an impact on whether you’re eligible for loans or financing.
If you’re registered to internet banking, please log-in and send a message to us or call our Contact Centre at 3330200. You can also contact us through the number mentioned on the back of your credit card.
Please note that the International contact number mentioned on the back of your contactless American Express Credit Card is incorrect. The correct number is +(960) 3333013. We apologise for any inconvenience due to this.
1. What is a USD Visa Credit Card?
The USD Visa Credit Card is a dollar credit card offered by BML, targeted towards customers who pay to card in dollars and want to transact without sending foreign transaction limit increase requests to the Bank. New customers can apply for Visa Credit Card and choose the USD payment option. Existing customers can convert their existing Visa Credit Card to a USD Visa Credit Card. Payment to this card can only be made in US Dollars.
2. Which card products will have a USD version?
The following card products will have a USD version:
• Visa Credit Standard
• Visa Credit Gold
• Visa Credit Platinum
• Visa Credit Signature
• Visa Corporate Card
3. How do I apply for a new USD Visa Credit Card / USD Visa Credit Corporate Card?
You can apply online via BML Internet Banking or Mobile Banking App.
4. Can I only make repayments to the USD Visa Credit Card in US Dollars?
5. Can I convert my existing Visa Credit Card to a USD Visa Credit Card?
Yes, you can apply to convert your existing card via BML Internet Banking or through our Mobile Banking App.
6. Can I change back to my previous Visa Credit Card after converting to a USD Visa Credit Card?
No, this is a permanent change.
7. Can I keep my existing Visa Credit Card and apply for an additional USD Visa Credit Card?
No, you can only have one type of Visa Credit Card. However, you can request for an additional card (either Mastercard or American Express) after converting your Visa Credit Card.
8. If I have a Mastercard or an American Express but not a Visa Credit Card, can I request for a USD Visa Credit Card?
9. What will happen to my current outstanding balance on my existing Visa Credit Card after it is converted to a USD Visa Credit Card?
You have 3 options, which you can select online at the time of application:
• Settle outstanding balance in MVR before converting to USD Visa Credit Card
• Transfer the outstanding balance to another credit card (either Mastercard or American Express)
• Keep the outstanding balance in USD Visa Credit Card and repayment for that will be in USD going forward.
10. What is the daily limit and the monthly limit on the Card?
You will enjoy the credit limit extended to you on your credit card. No other foreign transaction limits will be in effect for this card.
11. Should I have a USD account with BML to apply for a USD Visa credit card?
Yes, you must have a USD account to apply for a USD Visa Credit Card. Your USD account must also be set as your card’s auto pay account.
12. Can I make repayments to USD Visa Credit Card via ATMs?
Yes, you can make repayments to the card in dollars through our USD ATMs. MVR cash will not be accepted for card repayment. You may also make repayment via debit card at any ATM from a USD account.
13. Can I make repayment to USD Visa Credit Card via cheques?
USD cheques will be accepted but any cheques in MVR will be returned by the Bank.
14. Will there be any changes to the current overall credit limit if I have more than one card?
The current overall credit limit across all your cards will remain the same.
15. Is card plastic design different?
16. How many days will it take for the card to be processed?
New credit cards will be processed within 10 working days. If you are converting your existing card to a USD card, it will take 5 days. You will receive an SMS once successfully completed.
|Card Transaction Dispute Form||English|
|Credit Cards T&C||English / Dhivehi|
|Outlets Offering BML Easy Pay||English|
|Request to change to USD Visa Credit Card||English|
|FAQ - Change to limits on BML Credit cards for Foreign Transactions - October 2021||English|
|FAQ - USD Visa Credit Card||English|
|Credit Card Application Form||English|
|Supplementary Credit Card Application Form||English|
|Sample consent letter format for expatriate customers||English|